Steady work in the field of environmental and social justice involves grant-support most times. Prior to leaving for Standing Rock I had been awarded grants and contracts funded by these, for work with for work with The Skokomish Watershed Action Team, and in school a project on social consciousness and social media networks called Be Your Own Hero. Some of this work was volunteered, while building the working understanding of the causes and issues. In hopes of finding a way to find a similar application of cumulative skill to put to work as part of the Oceti Sakowin Camp Media team, I connected with the Seeding Sovereignty organization and presented several work examples.
Heart and soul went into this work. Above all, I hope the spirit of it continues, and that the words are honored. The combined staff was an inspiration to work with, and I am filled with gratitude for the time when we were able to come together.
Learning more about grant-writing and project development was a natural fit for this, and after proposing several options based on demonstrated experience, we began to work together. Though the experience was good, full of lessons, I am continuing independently.
Web-hub development has remained a primary concern, to protect communities facing threats from extractive industries, building awareness and support around their conflict, while emphasizing values they live by. Working to grow continued support and vigilance in the outer-world.
Description of completed work:
- Complete website re-design
- Logo provided with versions
- Letterhead design
- Curating content for the website from existing copy, photography and contributing relevant photos of my own, and contributing significant portions of writing to meet changing funders’ expectations and updating the website significantly for shifting staff positions and project directives.
- Several original blog posts
- Design of two camp-hub websites with original photos, one was a design update
- Editing numerous grant drafts and providing original content and substantial experience to these
- Assisting with the initial job description and emailing thought-provoking questions to assist with their goal development and selection
- Drafting job descriptions
- Developing initial project proposals
- Providing social media posting tutorials and protocol to all staff
- Budget drafts for project scope
- Research on various subjects, organizations, and project initiatives
Lesson: Prepare a contract to keep handy for bio-survival mode.
MK, Corona Communications & Design @2017 All rights reserved
The months of June and July 2017 involved sheltering in a safe place. For this I work-traded two websites, complete with agreed-upon work proposals detailing both projects. That allowed me to dive into this work, but the scope of it left little time to complete these projects. Due to the nature of this separation, I note this here, and state that the proof of all work, process, creative notes and dialogue are saved. The websites are incomplete, but the process could be completed over the course of about three meetings, and regular email follow-up with a non-biased mediator.